Table of Contents
MySQL is a powerful Database.Its free and easy to use RDBMS(Relational DataBase Management System) database.Many Developers choose MySQL and PHP for their web projects.I also prefer MySQL and PHP for my Web Projects.
MySQL database has became the World’s most popular open source database because of its easy to use,fast performance and high reliability.
Before we proceed to know about MySQL database,we should know about RDBMS.
What is RDBMS
RDBMS stands for Relational DataBase Management System.RDBMS is a software that:
- Enable you to implement database with Tables, columns and indexes
- Updates the indexes automatically
- Interprets an SQL query and collect data from tables
Before we proceed to know about MySQL Database,here are some terms related to RDBMS:
- Database: A database is a collection of tables with related data.
- Table: Table is a matrix of data.A table looks like a simple spreadsheet.
- Column: One Column contains data of one and same kind.
- Row: Rows are entry of records.
- Redundancy: Storing data twice redundantly to make the system faster.
- Primary Key: Primary key is unique.A key value cannot occur twice in a column.
- Foreign Key: Foreign key is a linking pin between two tables.
- Compound Key: A Compound key is a key that consist of Multiple columns.
MySQL is fast and easy to use RDBMS being used for many small and big business.MySQL is the second most widely used open source Relational Database Management System.It’s used in more than 6 million installations ranging from large corporations to specialized embedded applications on every continent in the world.
Why to choose MySQL
MySQL is becoming so popular because of many good reasons:
- MySQL is Free and easy to use.Its released under Open-Source Licence.
- MySQL is customizable. The open-source GPL license allows programmers(you) to modify the MySQL software to fit their(your) own specific environments.
- MySQL uses a standard form of the well-known SQL data language.
- MySQL offers exceptional security features that ensure absolute data protection.
- MySQL works on many operating systems and with many languages including PHP, PERL, C, C++, JAVA, etc.
- MySQL performance are very high and works well even with large data sets.
- MySQL is very friendly to PHP, the most appreciated language for web development.
- MySQL supports large databases, up to 50 million rows or more in a table. The default file size limit for a table is 4GB, but you can increase this (if your operating system can handle it) to a theoretical limit of 8 million terabytes (TB).
Here is an example how you can fetch data from mysql table.
For example you have a table called users.
SELECT * FROM users